Saturday, April 20, 2013

Long Time No See

I've been MIA from posting for months and I feel really bad about it. I've just been so busy with Deadly Caress edits and school. But I'm committing myself to posting twice a month or as often as I have news.

So what's been going on in the world of J.S.Walker...not much. Well, to me it's not much. If I'm not marching down State Street wearing a crown with my loyal subjects cheering behind me, my life is boring (just a little dry humor). I'm wrapping up my second year at Columbia. I love that school, but I'm at the point where you just want to sit around in sweats and do nothing all day, so having to get up at 5:30am for classes really sucks. The good thing is now I can apply to the BFA (Bachelors of Fine Arts) program. The F just means I take less general courses and twice as many in my major. I'm also debating on whether I should take a Professional Writing minor...more on that later.

In my writing...well I got one of my short stories published my Columbia's Story Week Reader. It's a cool anthology of some of the best stories (that were submitted) in the Fiction department. And I mean short story. They all had to be 750 words or less. Come to think if it, this was probably something I could've talked about on here when it happened. Yeah, my thinking isn't so smart sometimes. (Don't hold that last sentence against me. I can definitely string words together better than that....just barely.) So I guess I'll have another post about that later with the link where you can read the story.

I'm writing Deadly Fury, book two in the Deadly Seven Series, well sort of. I HAD decided to use my first advance fiction class to write as much of the book as possible. Well I didn't count on not being able to write a single word. I was as stuck as a bloated woman in her fav skinny jeans. I  couldn't string a single plot point together. Finally, after a grueling 8 weeks, yes 8 weeks, I was able to write chapter two and half of chapter three. Not much, I know, but it's a start. The great thing is that it gave me an opportunity to think and I was able to map out a lot of my story and get to know my characters better. I learned a lot I hadn't known before. My goal is to, if not finish, than get the majority of the book finished before the fall. Cross your fingers!

So you're all caught up. I'm going to post about Story Week, which was almost a month ago, some time next week with the link to my story. Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter @jswalker_author or like me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/JS-Walker/261715640513667?ref=hl


1 comment: